Friday, November 30, 2007

Beaver, Snatch and Balls to the Wall

Breaking from my usual friend-ridiculing posts, I've been pondering the meaning of several sayings and colloquial expressions. As many of you know, I'm very interested in why we say some of the things we do. For many cliches and expressions, you can pretty much guess at their origins and the reasons they became popular expressions. But then there are some that i simply cannon figure out. I know that there are some enlightened individuals in my circle of friends and perhaps they may enlighten me as to the origins of these. Please feel free to add to this list if there are expressions you can't figure out:

1. I've got you by the short and curlies - i assume at some point, someone would have had to have someone else by the "short and curlies" which i presume to be the pubes. but could this situation really have been so universal that it became a popular expression for an inescapable situation?

2. Balls to the wall - WTF?

3. How do you like THEM apples? - why would this come to be a belittling or even condescending expression?

4. Balls deep - i guess i know what it means but i just .... i just don't know why it's a popular expression ... maybe i'm just hanging around with the wrong crowd.

5. Are you SHITTING me? - I absolutely hate it when people say this. What does that even mean?

6. Fuckin' A

7. Damn Skippy


Also, how did we come up with all these names for Penises and Vaginas:

Beaver, Cock, Pecker, Snatch

I can see where "pink taco," "wiener" and "pickle" could be used because one could argue that the basic shapes are similar to parts of the body. but why PECKER?

These are just a few and i'll probably be adding to the list later. I'm hoping for your sake that Jacob will do his usual Jacob thing and list the origins and difinitive meanings of each of these phrases as well as their Latin translations and the names of the people who originally uttered them. He's weird like that. But I heart him and wouldn't change him for the world.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

10 comments:

Mickey said...

I probably shouldn't read such filth at work. So fire me. See, Severo? You do have something to offer us besides your ridicule. Not much, but something.

Meaghan said...

I think "balls to the wall" probably came from law enforcement of some sort. I think they make people face a wall when patting them down??? Just a guess...

Severo said...

Alas, Mickey. I wish i could be like you and wax philosophic about "face melting" and "mofos" but i am a simple man.

Jacob said...

I don't have much of a clue for the phrases, but for the alternative words for genitalia, I'll take a stab. Hyuk, hyuk.

Beaver - You ever seen a beaver pelt? A bit of hyperbole in the metaphor, but it works.

Pecker and cock - Roosters are very masculine. They also require a pecking motion to be used properly.

Snatch - I have no clue. But maybe it's from the male desire to "snatch them some". That's a total bullshit in the dark, though.

Personally, I like some of the rapper-style slang like cut and gash, but those are obvious.

Oh, and "a sideways grimace on an eyeless face" from Hedwig and the Angry Inch actually struck me as appropriate. I've never gotten the floral metaphors olden days except for the obvious similarities in function. I've never really seen a flower look like that.

I think they should refer to male genitalia in the flacid stale as hairy turtles. Then you could call an erection "getting a hairy giraffe-turtle."

Jacob said...

But I guarantee you that a quick search of Google will find a website for explanations of all of these sayings. My first instinct was to go look them up for you, but then I realized I was lazy and that I didn't really want to kill the feel of the original post like I did with Chris's Ross Perot post.

Jacob said...

Sweet. My blog link is much more acceptable. I'm the only one with a description! Sweet!

Severo said...

you know i heart you Jacob

Meaghan said...

I feel a little uncomfortable about Severo and Jacob's relationship... anyone else?

Ken Caruthers said...

"Damn Skippy"....


We call whoever is actually controlling the government "Skippy".

Severo said...

you mean the Religous Right?